vibration upon acceleration

well changed the outer tire rod ends. cv axles. and lower ball joints. Now it just vibrates going through 1st and 2nd. then it smooths out fine. I have a little movement from my axle as well, but I’m not sure if it is normal or not. I’m tired of changing axles.

Where is the movement? which direction?

i have the same problem now haha. i narrowed it down to just a vibration in 1st and 2nd. it seems to be dependant on rpm, low rpm. it’s a pretty bad vibration from like 5-25mph and it smooths out after that. the only time it’ll vibrate in 3rd if i’m at a low low rpm like 2500 (which is pointless in a b16 powered 2ndGen anyway…)

but low speed low rpm shakes the car like crazy. especially up hills its bad.

oh man i’m off work i’m gettin the fugg outta here. later.

i went throught the same deal and it ended up being the drivers side motor mount by the cam gears. the mount was bad i put a new one in and it was gone.

recently installed:
Innovative 60A mounts (all of them including the front one)
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Fidanza flywheel
All new inner and outer tierods, upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, and axles (replaced the axles about 3 times and finally got a set that didn’t bind up and almost pull me off the road… long story)
Full prothane bushing kit

engine:2001 B20Z
transmission: stock 1992 YS1 (LS ~290k miles).

My vibration is mainly in 3rd and 4th from 3-4k rpms under load. When my axles were acting up, it was different and wasn’t consistantly only at certain rpms; This has occured regardless of the axles and their condition.

My car has also spent plenty of time of the allignment rack and has straight, balanced wheels as well. It is not that kind of vibration (I have fixed those plenty)

Based on mileage and the simple reasoning that everything else has been replaced, I’m looking at getting new intermediate shaft bearings and rebuilding my transmission. Getting some axles with torque dampers might help (especially since I am putting out 137tq to the wheels), but I think that there is some other wear in the drivetrain causing most of my issues.

Please keep us informed of your progress. I also have a high mileage LS tranny, over 303K miles, and I have had the same vibration problems during acceleration. I have been thru many axles trying to fix the problem, and some were better than others, but I could still always feel the car shaking during acceleration, just varying degrees of severeness.

I even went into the tranny and replaced the differential, and checked the internal bearings for wear, and nothing seemed to be loose. I am at wits end, and I think that rebuilding the tranny would not be feasible, since you can pick up a low mileage short geared version from an importer. So, eventually, I will order a B16A swap from HMO, which includes a low-mileage short geared cable tranny, and build me an LSVTEC. I sure hope that all my vibration problems go away then.

i’m doing the same John. i went to look at a short geared jdm J1 yesterday. got it for $550 with a comp clutch. i’m just gonna rebuild my S1 while it’s out and sell the J1 later.
which reminds me… i never got back to you on that tranny!! sorry man i was gone that weekend i dont even remember what i did. then forgot all about it.

anybody know if i need a different trans mount to use for the J1 since it came out of a jdm crx?

and why does my car not vibrate or grind 3rd when the car is cold??? i’ve been noticing that lately. when i go to work in the morning i pull out on the highway and it feels solid, no vibration and no grinding until the car is warm and i’ve been driving…

Update:
I just finished installing a low mileage JDM S1 tranny and took it on a very easy test drive around the block. I still have some vibrations. I had to change the clutch due to the tranny being small spline, so I had to go very easy on it. The tranny is much quieter and smoother, but it obviously was not not the sole contributor to my issues. I’ll see how bad my vibrations are after I get this new cluch broken in properly, but it looks like I will be buying an intermediate shaft and some upgraded axles.

I was looking at something like this for an intermediate shaft (I will probably be changing to 94+ axles):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-Integra-RS-LS-GS-B18B-B18C-B18C1-Halfshaft-Axle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33728QQihZ007QQitemZ170131340706QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

edit: I forgot to add that I have also just installed a new balanced set of wheels and tires. I drove it harder today after making sure the clutch wouldn’t slip and I do have less vibrations now, but it is far from gone.

i as well have this problem. mine is from 30-40 mph and nothing horrible but u can feel it… mmy spindle isnt bent, the wheels bearings are fine and my tires are balanced and perfectly seated on the hub…wtf? sorry to thread jack i just didnt see a point in making the same thread and getting flamed for it. lol. also i get an “airplane” noise especially when slowing down from above 40. sounds like a plane hovering and its not te exhaust. this is all coming from the drivers side rear. /threadjack.

has anybody checked the radius rod bushings. i noticed that i can pull on them and get them to move in and out relatively easily. i don’t have the specs for how much play is alowed and they don’t appear cracked, but there does seem to be too much play. i think i am gonna replace those and see if it changes the vibration.

the only other thing in the drive train that hasn’t been replaced is the driver side wheel bearing, but there is no play and it does spin smoothly. however, i suspect the wheel bearing, because my vibration only starts after car has driven around for a few minutes. and that wheel does seem to get hotter than the driver side.

parts replaced:
clutch
flywheel resurface
rebuilt transmission
intermediate shaft
both cv axles - 94+ integra (brand new napa)
passenger side wheel bearing
all motor mounts with es inserts
new wheels with centering rings and tires

^ if u dont mind could i get a link to where u got the wheel bearing? im trying to find the whole spindle but am not having any luck

Try www.car-part.com, all you need is your zip dude.

sorry, haven’t been online in a little while. if your still looking for a wheel bearing i got mine from napa $109. you may find it cheaper, but this looked better than the cheaper ones i looked at. http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&Keyword=wheel&KeywordCat=Wheel+Bearing+-+Front+Wheel&VehCode=Y

as far as a knuckle goes, i have only found them at acura dealerships. they were about $190 and did not include the bearing, hub, or ball joint.

any updates on this and has anyone found a solution?

my car is doing the same exact thing i already replaced the axles got an alignment and balanced brand new rims with brand new tires.

2nd and 3rd gear vibrations while on load? any solutions i read through all 3 pages and seems like people still have it

I just bought an air compressor and air tools, I’m going to try a new set of axles and see if that helps.

I picked up a set of OEM axles with the torque dampers on them but haven’t had a chance to install them to see if that really makes any difference. Hopefully I will get a chance to install them in the next week or two, and I’ll post up the results.

i’m drunk:rockon:

bump any updates?

add another one to the vibration. My car has been doin it for about a year now. And it keeps gettin worse. Mine makes a wierd noise when I give it gas real quick too from the engine bay. I’m pretty sure mine is the rear motor mount.

Motor mounts was my vibration problem